Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009: A (VERY SIGNIFICANT) Year in Review

Well, I think I'd have to say that this was one of the most significant years of my life. So what better way to end it than w/ a timeline of events to give thanks to God for all He's done? Bear w/ me as I don't have exact dates in mind, but here goes:

January:

(Week one) - After having met a group of scientists a few months earlier (by a total act of GOD:) who work just up the road from where I live(d), I finally got in touch w/ one of them to see if we could meet and talk further (science stuff [of course]; there'd been [and still are] some ideas running through my mind, so I thought I should explore the possibilities). A few hours later, I got word that my grandfather (the food chemist, the one who set the seeds in place for the scientific inspiration I would end up having) had passed away somewhat unexpectedly. While meeting w/ the family at my aunt/uncle/cousins' in Cali and taking my turn to share what I remember about good ol' grampa, I recanted the conversation I had w/ him at 15 - about an idea I had for an invention - and how he challenged me to do something w/ it. Lo and behold, this tied in directly w/ the direction my life was starting to head, so I made it my promise to him before the family that I would take him up on his challenge.

February:

- I started out the year knowing that I would be joining YWAM Coatesville at some point in the not-too-distant future, but I was thinking that would be somewhere around the end of the year. An interesting turn of events was set into play, however. I was attending a conference for the YWAM bases in the northeastern U.S. Just as I was about to leave, my friend, Metui (the base leader for YWAM Coatesville) called and asked me to pick up his guitar stand (he was already on his way home and realized he forgot it). "Just bring it to me next time you come to visit," he said. So a few weeks or so later, I thought to myself, "You know, I still haven't made it into Philly, just yet. I should visit there for a day just to check it out." I figured I'd stop by Coatesville on my way there to drop off the guitar stand, but what a surprise I was in for. "Yeah, so we're going to be starting staff training in April," Metui tells me. After talking for a while, we both realized that the pieces of the puzzle were likely falling into place...and so they did. Work gave me some scheduling flexibility, the budget fit just right, and as of April 1st, phase 1 of my transition to YWAM Coatesville was initiated (see first blog for details)

September-ish:

- I started thinking to myself, "You know, why should I wait another year to get started back up w/ college again? Why not get the ball rolling now?" As I started looking into my options, I suddenly realized something. "Wait a minute, I've been wanting to do journalism, but haven't really known where to go w/ it. I've been wanting to study science in college, but haven't really seen how it would fit in w/ the bigger picture. There is such a thing as a science journalist, though. Hmmmm....." Oh how magically the pieces of this puzzle have been falling together (you'll hear more details in blogs to come).

Looking back at everything, I'm so elated about having taken this next step forward in life. There've been a few times over the last month when I stopped to consider where things are at, now, and I said to myself, "You know, I really like this." I can hardly wait 'til things move forward a bit further, but for now, I'm just enjoying the ride as God is taking me along. So on that note, this year ahead for me is going to be all about venturing forward, trusting God w/ every step, being willing to take some risks, and just doing it. If only I could say how thrilled I am about that. So now that you've read all of this, how about you? What did 2009 mean to you and what will you do w/ the next year of your life? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts:) Oh, and one other thing.......

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment